Dr. Jennifer Liu (Acupuncturist)
Acupuncture is a form of Chinese medicine that has been practiced for centuries. It’s based on the theory that energy, called chi (say “chee”), flows through and around your body along pathways called meridians.
Acupuncturists believe that illness occurs when something blocks or unbalances your chi. Acupuncture is a way to unblock or influence chi and help it flow back into balance.
Acupuncture is done by putting very thin needles into your skin at certain points on your body. This is done to influence the energy flow. Sometimes heat, pressure, or mild electrical current is used along with needles.
The Benefits of Acupuncture are:
When performed correctly it is save.
- There are very few side effects.
- It is a very effective combination treatment.
- It is effective in controlling some types of pain.
- It may be considered for patients who do not respond to pain medications.
- It is a useful alternative for patients who do not want to take pain medications.